Tuesday, August 18, 2009

4th August 2009 - Birthday in Singapore!

This year was a special birthday, in that it was the first birthday Yolande and I have ever spent together in the close-to-4-years we have known each other! Despite having a 3.5 hour Finance lecture that morning, my evening turned out splendidly, as I met up with Yolande after work, who treated me to a surprise dinner at a sophisticated Japanese restaurant. The main courses were delicious, as was the surprise birthday cake, which tasted of chocolate, rum, and raspberry. Yum yum! The restaurant even gave us complimentary cheese cake as a birthday treat, and took a polaroid picture of us. We had a magnificent view of Singapore river from our table. Great atmosphere, great music, great conversation - it was a great evening, all told.

Yolande had already given me my birthday present early, which was a 'management fable' called "The THREE SIGNS of a Miserable Job". It has an enjoyable story, as well as being the book I'll be critiquing for one of my research projects, so having my own copy is pretty handy.

I've yet to spend the birthday money I received from Nanny and Zoe & Robin, but I'll be sure to think hard and buy something I'll get a lot out of. I was very pleased to receive so many cards in the post and birthday messages via Facebook from my family and friends. Thank you everybody!!!

It was sad to spend a second birthday in a row away from my family in England, but I am looking forward to their arrival in Singapore at the end of September (when we'll celebrate mine and Yolande's birthday all over again!) and, in the meantime, was thrilled to receive a parcel of Roysters crisps from Gemma, who knew just how much I'd been craving them!

P.S. Since we only ate a small slice at the restaurant, the other day I asked Yolande if she fancied having any of the leftover birthday cake (which I managed to squash on the bus home) for pudding. It turns out Yolande and her parents finished it all without me knowing! (Yolande thought I'd had some too!) Oh well, I'll just have to buy a nice cake for Yolande's birthday and eat some of that! (Come to think of it, that was probably her plan all along... Mua ha ha!)

3 comments:

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday. Hope we get to meet up at some point before the next one!

You have a typo on 'September'.

catcatmeow said...

Fixed in file.